Sunday, October 21, 2007

Fitting It All Together


I can't believe I didn't post this a while ago. Since I had those fitting problems with my favorite pattern, I decided to try out the suggestions I received about pattern fitting*. So after doing some Web research, I went out and bought Fast Fit by Sandra Betzina!

Hopefully this will be the answer to my prayers, with this book...

1) I am going to learn flat pattern measuring and...
2) actually create a fitting shell garment.

Some pattern companies have delegated these old standbys to the last page in their catalogs, so watch out, they may be phasing them out. It sounds like an idea they should keep, they were probably popular in their day. If you choose to look into them, here are the online links and pattern numbers for the major companies:

McCall's M2718 Sizes 6-22 (developed by Palmer/Pletsch The Fit Experts, authors of Fit for Real People)
Pattern Review for this pattern here.

Butterick B5746 Misses sizes 6-22 and Butterick B6092 for Women's sizes 16W-32W
Pattern Review for this pattern here.

Vogue V1004 dress shell Sizes 6-22 and the Vogue V1003 pants shell Sizes 6-22
Pattern Review for this pattern here.

It would probably be a great idea to get the one manufactured by the company whose patterns' fit you like the best, though be aware that some may not have updated the fitting garment to the way they construct their patterns today.

Note:
I suggest that before you buy any pattern check to see if there is a Pattern Review for it first. It gives you a heads-up on possible problems in the instructions.

*Thanks Cherie!

No comments: