Sunday, April 15, 2018

Update on That Toaster Imposter Sweater

A month or so ago, I made Simplicity 8529, a Sew House Seven design that is an adaptation of their popular Toaster sweater. I wasn't exactly happy with my finished top at the time (the print is so loud, it practically screams!) but it was well made and the cold weather required this extremely cozy piece in my wardrobe.

But that didn't last long. I wore it 2 times and contemplated wearing it a few other times but each time felt I was drowning in fabric and the view of all that fabric when I looked down at my chest was just too much. Combined with the top being at least one size too big width-wise, I felt like the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man. A re-fashion was desperately needed.

Short of unpicking all of the seams and re-cutting the pieces in a smaller size, I did two things:

1. I removed the bottom band, opened it up, and only attached one side of it. I then hemmed one inch on the bottom, retrieving approximately two inches of length. Because of the dropped shoulder on the top I originally had underestimated how high the sides would raise when the arms were lifted.

2. I completely changed the neckline. I originally cut down two inches thinking I would try to copy the shallower neckline of the Toaster but that wasn't satisfying either. I then started cutting the neckline down bit by bit eventually coming up with a wide crewneck. I decided against adding a neckband or a binding and simply turned the edge under 1/4".

Obviously, next time, I probably won't make this view. In my current shape, I'm not happy with the wide look of a drop shoulder, preferring to have tops that fit more snug at the bust even if they become oversized below that point. To alter that I would need to cut the sides considerably and cut new longer (and wider) cuffs to make up the missing length. Maybe I'll do that before next winter.

1 comment:

Faye Lewis said...

Great ideas. Maybe I need to adopt some of your changes to the Toaster Sweater that I made.