Friday, February 01, 2019

Dark Floral With Swing - Simplicity 1163

(This was actually made in 2018.)


Pattern: Simplicity 1163 (2015)

Pattern Description: Misses' knit skirt with option of asymmetric faux wrap, flat front, or pleated front drape with length variations. View F

Pattern Sizing: R5: Sizes 14-16-18-20-22 I cut the waistband for size 20 but cut skirt in size 22 for a little more fullness.


Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, exactly.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Extremely easy. The only issue might be in hemming the long skirt hem in a knit but I didn't really have a problem because I chose to sew it by hand. Also machine basting directly on the stitching line makes it easier to roll the hem over at the seam line and stitch it down.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I wanted a skirt with movement and I liked the angled overlay.


Fabric Used: PPK6 KP5 Brushed floral knit (96% polyester 4% spandex), Dritz 1-1/2 soft waistband elastic


Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I cut the skirt portion one size larger than the waistband to create more fullness in the skirt. I also thought the finished garment length of 19" was too short and added two inches to the length of the pattern pieces. I will probably add even more width and another inch of length next time.


Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I will definitely make this skirt again, especially the longer midi version of this same style. It's a great pattern, the styles are interesting yet the construction is simple enough for these to be quick makes.


Conclusion: A fabulous dark floral knit made into a skirt in a style new to my wardrobe which consists mostly of pencil skirts.

2 comments:

Two Cables and a Frapp said...

Really cute. Looks comfortable.

Karen said...

Such a cute skirt - thanks for the review.