Way back, at the end of 2019, I updated my dad's kitchen in the house I grew up in. I realized I never wrote about it here, even though the research and planning took up most of my time and energy. I guess it took me all of last year to process!
Our kitchen has always been a project because it was subject to my father's whims. He would "makeover" the cabinets, backsplash, countertop, and appliances whenever he spied a bargain at a retail or thrift store. Oh, the memories; the silver tin backsplash, mismatched cabinets in different wood grains, awkward cabinet placement that limited accessibility, replacing two useful dish cabinets with a wine rack, and lots of kitschy knick-knacks, many of them depictions of roosters!
|The sole survivor of kitsch!|
While my dad agreed to my plan to start over and have a complete redesign, there were tense negotiations on almost everything. Some of them:
- I would work with a Home Depot consultant to design the kitchen, get measurements, and order the cabinets.
- His handyman would install the cabinets and not Home Depot.
- I could order unfinished cabinets that will be painted to lighten up the wood-paneled kitchen.
- I could choose the color because it needed to be warmer than the white prepainted ones available.
- I could choose ALL of the design components, cabinet layout, door style, backsplash, and flooring.
- Everything (but the cabinets) must be available in the store, nothing could need to be shipped.*
- I could personally sanded, primed, painted, and polyurethaned all of the cabinet components.
- I could install the tile backsplash by myself.
The picture above shows how it looks now, and below is a rundown of almost everything we purchased to change it and make the kitchen look cohesive and much more functional. If you want, take a deep breath, and scroll to the bottom to see how it was.
- One gallon Behr Premium Plus in Cocoa Malt satin enamel low-odor paint & primer
- Kilz-2 All Purpose Interior/Exterior water-based multi-surface primer/sealer/stain blocker
- Minwax Water-Based Polycrylic Protective Finish in Clear Satin (I SWEAR by this stuff!)
- American Olean VitaScape 9" x 12" ceramic herringbone mosaic tile in Midnight Satin
- .5 gallon Mapei Flexcolor CQ acrylic premix grout in White (00)
- One gallon Mapei Type 1 Tile Adhesive/Mastic (premixed)
- Schluter Jolly .375" PVC L-angle (SP100) tile edge trim in Sand Pebble
- Leviton 1-gang Midway duplex outlet nylon wall plate in Gray
- Two Leviton Decorator 1-gang Midway nylon wall plates in Gray
- Hampton Bay laminate countertop in Typhoon Ice with Valencia Edge and integrated backsplash
- Leftover beaded wainscot panel similar to this type
- Smartcore Ultra 8-piece 11.97" x 23.62" Tivoli Travertine luxury vinyl plank flooring tiles
- Smartcore 1.26" x 94.49" Tivoli Travertine vinyl floor T-Molding
*I actually wanted to order this flooring in gray, but that was nixed. It's my one regret, and I often think of it, especially after something spills on the lighter floor.
My inspiration for the mix of cabinet hardware: