Wednesday, November 30, 2022

Stepping up my Sewing Machine Game

I decided to value my sewing and myself by buying a new sewing machine this year. My first and only machine is a Baby Lock BL2100 that I purchased in 1993, and it has been a workhorse for thirty years. It was a basic Baby Lock beginner machine. It did have a drop-down bobbin and a one-step buttonhole, but no other bells and whistles.

It served me extremely well, but in the last few years frustrated with some things and then not eager to get back to sewing because I had to fix something. So, I've been sewing for over 30 years with the same machine I bought when I was 19. I deserve a treat, but how much of a treat? I sew quite a bit of my wardrobe. How much of a machine do I need, the decorative stitches on my machine are fine, but I never use them. Gaining more than 100 stitches, can I justify that? Should I have to justify that?

I started looking at machines under $300, and the closer I got to $150, I felt better and less anxious. You see, at the same time, I was looking at getting a laptop. I'd been without one since 2019. I use a MacBook Pro at work (and all through 2020 during work from home) and was tempted to get one for personal use. Therefore, I was looking at $1,000 for a MacBook Air computer. However, I rarely blog now, don't edit photos or videos, and don't game. Why spend the expense for all that power I won't really use while limiting the cost of my sewing machine (which I use for my favorite hobby) to a quarter of that price? 

Baby Lock Jubilant

So, I did not get the computer and instead bought a more affordable tablet. Then I took some of the difference from the money I was going to spend and added it to my sewing machine budget, which could now increase to $600. That increase meant I could look at Baby Lock, bernette, Brother, Janome, or PFAFF. My first concern was if something went wrong, did I have a dealer nearby? That eliminated Janome and PFAFF. That still left Brother and Baby Lock. I have been impressed with how durable, and long-lasting my Baby Lock machine has been, so perhaps the quality is the same, and I should get another? Unfortunately, while offering me more stitches and buttonholes, their $600 machine, the Baby Lock Jubilant, would not provide me all the auto features I could get with cheaper machines. Though it came with eight one-step buttonholes, an automatic needle threader, and a speed of 850 stitches per minute, it only had 80 stitches!

Bernette 37

Regarding the stylish and cool-looking bernette 37, their under $500 machine offered less than other lower-costing brands. In addition, the cost of buying additional sewing feet ($$) and any future repairs would be more expensive than I want to spend. Their next model increased the b37's 50 stitches to 394(!) but also jumped in price to $700!!! Why is there no middle ground, bernette?

My internet research led me to sewing machine comparisons and trying to find out what machines other bloggers owned. On Instagram, many people were going for the Singer Heavy Duty machines. Although I may make a pair of jeans one day, I doubt there would be many other heavy duty projects so I was not interested. 

I started a spreadsheet (of course, I did!) where I could keep track of the attributes of each machine, including their weight, the number of stitches, the number of buttonholes, etc. Those reviews and comparisons kept bringing me back to Singer. Over the years, I have disregarded Singer, maybe because I always see it in Jo-Ann's and thought of it as nothing special. However, the Singer Stylist 7258 and Singer Quantum Stylist 9960 were getting great reviews. Once I saw the Singer Owner YouTube video series for each machine, I was excited. There will be a learning curve with so many buttons and instructions, but with the videos, I can handle it. 

I was now looking at computerized machines, something the younger snobbier me said I never wanted. I liked being contrary in my youth. Also, I deserve this and the proof that this was the right choice? When I placed my order on the Singer site, I received a 15% discount I didn't even know was being offered! So the machine I thought I was buying for $449 came in before tax as $382.49! Happy holidays to me!


Singer Quantum Stylist

I am now the proud owner of a Singer Quantum Stylist 9960 with a detachable quilting table, 600(!) stitches (including multiple stretch stitches,) 13 one-step buttonholes, 13 sewing feet, auto needle threader, auto thread trimmer, stop/start and up/down buttons, LED task light, LCD screen, and a speed of 850.

Singer 7258 Stylist
Brother CS7000x

For your information, the closest contenders were the Singer 7258 Stylist, mentioned above, and the Brother CS7000x. The Brother has a detachable quilting table, and it was $220 for 70 stitches, 7 one-step buttonholes, and 10 sewing feet. Still, it did not have an auto thread trimmer and had a slower speed of 750. It would have worked perfectly fine, but why not go for better than that? I may still feel guilty about the money, but I'm a person who will always feel guilty about spending money. 

It all comes down to this: thirty years with a no-frills sewing machine that helped me create 70% of my wardrobe, from wool coats to silk dresses to stuffed animals to pillows and slipcovers. It is about time. 


*The Quantum Stylist 9960 also comes with a detachable quilting table. I've only made one quilt (which I love), but that table also means easier handling of big and bulky projects.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great choice! I had one of those for a number of years and enjoyed it. I added a Juki to my collection a few years ago to see some heavy weight items. Enjoy your treat!

Summer Flies said...

I'm also someone who feels guilty spending money but sometimes you just have to enjoy it while you have it. Think of it as mental health support too. I felt guilty but after working full time for a few years I got a lovely coffee machine and haven't regretted it for a moment.