Sunday, March 19, 2023

Edwardian Fan Walking Skirt - Simplicity 8747

Finished garment photo coming.

Pattern: 
Simplicity 8747 (2018)

Pattern Description: Misses' mid-length full skirt with a center-front seam and a godet at center back from a vintage-style two-piece suit.

Pattern Sizing: Sizes: 16-18-20-22-24; I cut size 22.
 


Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Exactly, it's a simple but classic design.


Were the instructions easy to follow?
They were very easy, but it's important to mark all the marks from the pattern.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? This pattern works perfectly for replicating my inspiration outfit.

Fabric Used: 
58" Stretch faux suede (90% polyester, 10% Spandex) in Sycamore from Joann Fabrics, Coats All-Purpose 7" polyester zipper in Forest Green, Gutermann 100% polyester thread in Forest Green #792

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

Interestingly, the fabric was tough to pin, and I pulled out a size 16 ball point needle to sew it without skipping stitches. However, that bodes well for winter warmth, meaning no cold breezes will get through!

Initially, I thought of making the skirt flared at the bottom or adding more width to the back godet. However, I procrastinated enough that a straightforward sew was best. I didn't get that straightforward so though. The combination of cutting the pattern as 22 instead of 20 and it being a stretch fabric meant that I eventually had to unpick the entire thing, cut it down a size, and sew it up again. Ugh.

After cutting it down to size it fit better but not perfectly. I attached the waistband and instead of slip stitching as I usually do, I followed the instructions and stitched-in-the-ditch of the waistband seam and it worked out beautifully.

The only thing left to do was take care of the very very wide skirt hem. This, of course, I did whip stitch by hand. It probably took 3 hours (over two days) but it looks spectacular. 

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I may attempt this again, but would make sure to use a non-stretch woven. As it is, it's quite clingy around the stomach and hips. I'm not sure I know how this should fit. 

Conclusion: I originally envisioned this skirt for a Halloween costume, which wavered between an Edwardian adventuress or a house mistress complete with a chatelaine of keys and tools.


It does match the shape but not the historical look of the inspiration. Perhaps choosing a wool or twill would have been best. To more accurately replicate the look, I may add a petticoat to smooth the lines and allow the skirt to skim my body versus hugging my curves.

No comments: