Thursday, September 23, 2010

Fashion In Film: An Education (2009)

Director: Lone Scherfig
Carey Mulligan, Peter Sarsgaard
Costume Design: Odile Dicks-Mireaux













"If you never do anything, you never become anyone.”
- Jenny



I finally saw the movie, An Education. For these gorgeous dresses, thank the movie's costume designer, Odile Dicks-Mireaux. Read about her specific choices for character's clothing in this article, An Education in Fashion. These and more lovely images from the movie can be seen here.





Even Peggy is in on it!

I love the use of watercolor florals, chintz, brocades, and what we now think of sofa couch upholstery prints (Sorry, Peggy).

To copy the feel of these frocks, the new fall fabric, including the Simply Silky prints and the Midnight Jewels collections at Jo-Ann Fabrics would be perfect. They're lovely.

I have to admit I hadn't checked it out until I saw Kerri's fabulous dress. So last weekend, I went to check it. I took a few pictures, unfortunately I could not match them all to the fabrics available on their website. They fabrics types available are cotton sateen, peachskin, charmeuse, crinkle charmeuse, chiffon, and they even have some lovely sweater knits.

Watercolor prints, Midnight Bubbles, and heathered suiting

Cynthia watercolor posies charmeuse, Midnight Jewels sweater knitblue modeled flowers sateen


One last look

Movie images: By Kerry Brown, courtesy of Sony Pictures Classics
Fabric images: By me, the author of this blog

3 comments:

mjb said...

I'm not going to be sewing any of those styles anytime soon, but I did love that movie!

Angela said...

I bought some of those prints already and they're beautiful! It looks like I might need to pick up some others, too!

daiyami said...

I just bought some of that sweater knit, and it does feel very nice.