Monday, February 07, 2011

New Skirt - Maybe?

I don't know what happened. I made the skirt with the same pattern as the A-line Built By Wendy (Sew U) one in black corduroy. I only tapered the bottom in, I did nothing to the waist or hip area. So, why when I tried it on did it not fit? And no it's not because I gained weight. I can still wear the other skirt; however, when I laid the new one on top of the old one it was almost 1 1/2 inches smaller! How?!

I used the same pattern. Now, this piece of corduroy is twice as thick and I did underline it (with lining material) but still? That's a big difference that can't be because of fabric thickness, right?

I will try to decrease the darts and the side seams but I just don't know if that will be enough. I was so excited about this one. Again, it was corduroy that I've had in my stash for years, I didn't think I had enough but I made it fit on the pieces I had. The lining material along with the zipper was also in the stash, so I didn't spend any money on it. However, I'll still be really disappointed if this doesn't work out.

UPDATE:
I finally discovered what the fitting problem was. When I started tapering the skirt for a straight silhouette instead of an A-line, I had forgotten to include the widest point of the skirt and then start tapering, therefore it's too small just because of that inch-long area I forgot to take into consideration. Ugh!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know how frustrating that is, to put all that work into something and then have it not fit! Do you think the new one is smaller because of the seam allowances? I know when I sew patterns from that book, I always have to remind myself not to do the standard 5/8" because the book actually calls for 1/2" SA (and that information is hidden in the book copy, not plainly stated on the pattern pieces). Good luck getting your new one to fit! I have so been there.

lsaspacey said...

THANK YOU! I kept thinking maybe that was the problem but I couldn't find confirmation in the book. You are so right, it is hidden! Too bad I've already put in the back zipper and I don't really want to take it out but that would help immensely.

Elaray said...

The same thing happened to me recently. I made a pair of pants using the exact same pattern I'd used previously. The second pair was tight while the first pair still fit nicely. If I gained weight, wouldn't the first pair be too tight also? Maybe it was because I used a different fabric for the second pair. Or maybe it's sewing gremlins.

lsaspacey said...

Gremlins! That must be it! :)

Julia said...

dog gone it!!!! How frustrating. I hope you can let it out enough to make it work!