Monday, September 17, 2012

My First Quilt Is Done!


Unfortunately, the sun wasn't out the day we photographed, so here it is held up in the fluorescent lighting of my office. I hadn't named it before but I will now, the Moneta d'oro (the Golden Coin) quilt.

Instruction:

I am so happy that I took this class, I highly recommend it. You learn the correct techniques for making a slightly larger than crib-size quilt  (35" x 49") based on the Twisted Coins design in four 2-hour sessions. All of the instructions for this and fourteen other quilts were from the book, Piecing the Piece O' Cake Way by Becky Goldsmith and Linda Jenkins. This book was required for the class and I also recommend it.

Front

Back
Expense:

In total, the project cost more than I expected, even with my store discount. You see, I had never gotten around to buying a rotary cutter and mat before this. However, I was able to purchase the mat, rotary cutter, and a "6 x 24" quilt ruler at a 50% discount from Joann's for $46.00 with some of my graduation money.*

The fabrics for the front (1 large piece and six fat-quarters) and thread cost $27.00. The next purchase (white quilting thread, batting, and fabric for back panel) cost about $29.00. Required notions like a walking (quilting) foot, curved safety pins, and a pack of needles totaled $29.00. So, in total, this project cost me $131.00 or $89.00 not including the items that I would have probably bought anyway; the rotary cutter, mat, needles, and white thread. Oh, and I have enough fabric left to make a matching quilted pillow or bolster to coordinate with the new Moneta d'oro throw on my couch.


I can't remember right now, but I have a post on here that listed things I wanted to accomplish. I can now check off Make a Quilt!

* Thanks Aunt Teresa and Erica

Images: courtesy of Joanna Wilson-Green and myself

5 comments:

Gail said...

It's really beautiful!

MushyWear said...

Fantastic! I really like stacked coin quilts. Great color combination.

Elaray said...

So, how did you like the process? Do you think you'll be making more quilts? I've started making quilts and I enjoy it more than I thought I would. It won't replace garment sewing, but I definitely plan to continue.

Jen said...

Wow, this is amazing, well done!! I want to start quilting but just can't seem to find the time (what with the sewing, knitting, baking, full time job...).

Yours is beautiful though!!

Kyle said...

Wow, that is a really great quilt! Congratulations on your first quilt!