Thursday, June 06, 2013

Little Red Scout - Grainline Scout #31002

Yup, I made two Scouts in a row!

 

Pattern: Grainline Studio Scout Woven Tee #31002, c. 2011

Pattern Description: Woven t-shirt with capped sleeves, scoop neck, and a loose shape below the bust.

Pattern Sizing: Sizes (0-18) Neck, shoulders, and armscye cut in size 8, rest in size 10.
 

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, with modification.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, very simple.


What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I like everything about this pattern, it fit and looked great with no needed modifications.

Fabric Used: Red brushed twill from Joann Fabrics, and a wee bit of Flea Market Fancy from here for the facing.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I adapted the pattern to have a fuller back using this tutorial from Grainline studios. Whereas, Jen added 6 inches to the back width, I added 1.25" between each piece resulting in 7.5 inches added width. Unfortunately, it didn't turn out the way I thought it would. I should have added much more to the back width. I'm the only one that can tell the difference between this one's width and the other two Scouts I have. Also, instead of the fullness being in the back, it instead moves to the front as the side seams  slant to the front instead of hanging straight. Next time, I'll cut a yoke across at the armscye and add about 12 to 15 inches in width to the lower panel.


Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes. This is a great pattern and it can be modified easily into many different looks.

J. Jill

Complex Geometries "Orbit Tee"

Conclusion:  My goal was to create a cross between a J. Jill "artist" shirt that I've coveted for over five years and a Complex Geometries top I first saw on Totokaelo. My shirt ended up much more conservative than desired.

Images: Angie Conner, J. Jill, Complex Geometries, Totokaelo

2 comments:

Nettie said...

It's still cute!! I wore a red top today, too. Also made from a Grainline pattern!

I'm doing a sew along for Scout over on Kollabora. I think figuring out the mods you need for your inspiration shirts is a very worthy question to pose to the community!

http://www.kollabora.com/projects/scout-woven-tee-sew-along

House of Pinheiro said...

super cute x