Friday, January 31, 2014

Super Quick Project - Knit Turban

This is officially the last sewn project of 2013.

A few weeks ago, I wrote very quickly about making a turban for bad hair days. At the time, I didn't have any pictures of the project to show, but I do now. Unfortunately, there is no picture of me wearing it. With the current lighting and my dark hair, you just can't see the details. I think to wear a turban well, similar to wearing a cloche, there needs to be some hair peeking out at least. Perhaps, if I buy some hoop earrings and always wear lipstick it would work but not without.

I used this tutorial from Sewing.org. It's very simple and quick and can be made in less than an hour. All you need is about 5/8" yard of fabric. I used an interlock knit but the fabric doesn't even have to be that stretchy, an old solid t-shirt would be fine.


The front is anchored by a loop of fabric creating gathers for visual interest. It is also a perfect resting place for a great broch or some faux peacock feathers if you want to be dramatic.



My dad just happened to have this hat stand!
The three back pleats create structure by being sewn in the ditch down the middle back seam.

No comments: