Friday, March 18, 2016

Give It A Rest, Pinterest! (UPDATED)

Has anyone been annoyed by Pinterest in the last few days? I am dealing with an avalanche of their "Picked for you" pins.
Just overnight, I received 70 of them! Yes, 70 of them in a mass since the last pin arrived from one of the people that I actually choose to follow. That is just ridiculous and I do not like this.

I am sick and tired of  having to select repeatedly (70 times!!), I'm not into this Pin, I just don't like ads, and I'm not into Pins inspired by my recent activity just to see the content I signed up to see. Oh, and even worse, the exact same pins keep showing up!

Pinterest says the purpose of these toggles, such as It isn't relevant or interesting, is so that the algorithm can educate itself to show only pins that I would and wouldn't like but the fact that the same exact pins keep showing up after I've dejected them illustrates that it is NOT working. If this continues for much longer, I may have to quit Pinterest.

By searching the web, I have found a way around not seeing them at all (Click here for the link and java script fix provided by The Beth Project) but I think it's ridiculous that in order to enjoy Pinterest again you have to install a website hack in order to gain back the ability to choose your own inspirations and interests. The site as of now does not allow free choice in seeing only what we choose to see and that is a shame.


Anyone else having this problem?

UPDATE (08/21/16): I don't know when they finally did it, but I just checked the setting of my Pinterest account (again, out of frustration!) and they now have an option to turn OFF those "Picked for You" pins! It's located in Settings under Home Feed.  

Which, is great because I was using Pinterest less and less, only going into my already existed groups, and avoiding the main page (home feed) as much as possible. Thank you Pinterest for getting back to why we once liked your site.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

YEs, it's super annoying and I hate it. It's drastically reduced the amount of time I feel like spending on Pinterest (I probably go there once every two weeks now, usually to look up recipes). I made the mistake of looking up some kind of baby advice once and now my pinterest page is flooded with mom-blogger-advice lists. BLAHHHHHHH

marcy harriell | oonaballoona said...

i read about a way to stop this-- of course i completely forget where, but if you google "how to stop picked for you pins" i'm sure you'll find it! it might be a browser extension, but it seemed simple.

Camille said...

I absolutely cannot stand it. I changed my Chrome bookmark to take me directly to my own pins (recipes and sewing ideas) so I don't have to look at the home page with all that crap on it. The only alternative I've found that might work for me is Pocket but the thought of redoing those hundreds of pins is daunting.

lsaspacey said...

Yes, Oona there is a browser extension (thank god) that I've put on my computer but I need something that I use on my phone and I'm not sure I can do that same fix on my Android.

Aodhnait said...

That is so ridiculous!!

Gail said...

I haven't looked at my PInterest feed in at least a year, for this very reason. Once in a while I go over to check things on my own boards (basically notes I made to myself pre-Evernote) but other than that, no. It really irks me that we aren't allowed to choose for ourselves what we want to see - Instagram is going to be heading down this same road in a few months. :-(

MaryEllen said...

I have almost stopped looking at Pinterest because of this. It's soooooo annoying

LynneSews said...

I completely gave up Pinterest because of this. And now Instagram is saying they will introduce a similar algorithm, ugh.

Kyle said...

I have a Pinterest account but never really got into it. Even when I joined they forced me to choose boards I didn't want. ATP showed me last summer how to delete those boards and start my own boards, but I still didn't get into it, and yet I get the emails frequently about pins they have picked for me. I think I need to delete my account there.

Anonymous said...

I have also noted an increase in e-mails from Pinterest to the point of overload. However, if you look on the bottom of one of those e-mails in the fine print, there is a link to click to manage your preferences. You can choose to opt out of some or all of these e-mail notifications. It may take a few days for it to fully take effect however, but it should help.