Sunday, October 23, 2016

Sewing CAN Be Simple


Sewing can be as simple (or as complicated) as you make it.

Sometimes, I feel bad because I don't have an overlocker but after reading Overdressed by Elizabeth L. Cline, I'm perfectly fine with not trying to emulate the ways of current clothing manufacturing (ie. fast fashion) My knit fabric seams are still zig-zagged and then fortified with a second line of stitching 1/8" away and then trimmed close. Most of my woven seams are either pinked or the seam allowances are folded under and secured.


My hand stitched hems are a highly deserved piece of pride that I carry. These are blind and they are invisible while also sturdy and hard-wearing. I have not had any give up when I needed them.

Another way that I veer from the norm is that I have never installed an invisible zipper. I started out sewing more than twenty years ago with centered regular zippers and they have never (NEVER) in that time failed me. Just the thought of consciously installing an invisible zipper that from blog accounts seem to frequently break is perplexing enough to keep me from even trying them. Knowing that I have this deficiency in my sewing knowledge does bother me sometimes; however, it's largely fine by me because having a completely invisible zipper isn't a priority for me.

In fact, I've played with the color of my zippers at times. If it was not possible to have a perfect color match, I would choose one that complements or contrasts with the fabric on purpose. Ex. burnt orange and navy blue, lemon yellow and gray, or when using a floral print with a white background I would instead match one of the other colors.

No comments: