Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Been Waiting for An Update? Three Projects

Finished

My new Simplicity 3835 top. This time I chose the longer sleeve from the dress version because it looked so cute here, here, and here. As all of those examples are in print fabrics, I may have to make this again. I found that I really love this taxicab yellow color, which is funny because I think this is my first clothing item in this color. I have also decided that next time I do anything with this pattern I'm going to scoop out a slightly deeper neckline. The current cut isn't as flattering as it could be.

The yellow dress:

Basted only

I have done the darts in McCall's 3131 and have basted the dress together. It does fit the caboose but it still has a few problems, luckily nothing major. I think it's either because of the design or my choice of fabric but it's all about that center front seam. I've never done that on a dress before so maybe this is common but the dress caves-in from the split neckline all the way down the front. It's not very attractive, especially not at the bustline. The torso is also too long above this area too, so the shoulders will have to be taken up about an inch for it to look right, I think. (Oh, how I wish I had a dress form for things like this!)

Burdastyle Anda dress:

Basted hem

Here's my other try at a "quick turnaround" dress that takes week, if not months to complete! This dress; a muslin really, was made from a putty-colored mystery fabric I inherited from my mother's stash. So it has to be over 20 years old! Unfortunately, it snags and pulls easily and is slinkier than the fabric I usually work with, so let's just say cutting it out was NOT a picnic. So, how the heck do you guys deal with silk and chiffon?!

For the first time, I bound the neckline and arms with bias binding and am very happy with how well it turned out. I usually use facings for this type of thing.


The only other problem (there always has to be one, right?) I have with this dress is the hem. As you can see in the second picture, the hem forms an upside down smile, longer at the sides, even though it was basted straight across. The reason for this is that the dress was designed as a wide square and meant to hang wide from the shoulders and to then have an elastic waist. I rather like the loose flowing look, so I eliminated the elastic and I now have to work a reasonable curve into the hem to correct the final look.

Though there are some designers who don't rely on a straight hem all the time. Hmmm...should I just go for it?

IRO Rinatia dress from Totokaelo

Sorry for the horrible pictures. They were so dark, I had to lighten them considerably to show any detail.

5 comments:

Christina said...

Did you have any problems with the Anda neckline? I found that I could not hardly fit it over my head and had to create a button opening in the back to compensate. Either I did something wrong, or I have a huge head. Though I cut it from a slippery fabric, so that could be the culprit. I love keeping up with your blog! Keep on keeping on!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

I like that bias trim on the Anda dress. The length is perfect too.

Antoinette said...

I think I need some Anda in my life! Lots of productivity in your sewing room these days -- love everything! :)

lsaspacey said...

Christina,
Sorry I didn't have a problem with the neckline. Try cutting a deeper curve in the neckline, but carry it all the way out to the shoulders so it will still be boatneck style. Good luck!

Johanna Lu said...

Since I bought a rotary cutter/mat cutting slippery fabric is not such a pain in the but anymore. Also I use heavy objects as pattern weights (no pins)and that helps too. The Anda dress was a new discovery for me, looks super comfortable and a great canvas for variations.