Monday, October 25, 2010

Check Out the New Sherlock Holmes!


I throughly enjoyed the new version of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson, called simply, Sherlock, on Masterpiece Mystery last night! I had no idea that they were updating the story to present time; texting, internet, and GPS gadgets all included. However, it worked.

Starring Benedict Cumberbatch, (The Last Enemy) and Martin Freeman (The Office UK) as the socially inept detective and his sharp-shooter doc. For a limited time, episodes can be seen online here.

Best line of the show (of which there were many) was when Holmes was described by a colleague as a psychopath. Holmes corrects him by stating, "I'm not a psychopath, Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!"

Co-created by two Doctor Who producers, you know this will not be your grandfather's Sherlock Holmes!

9 comments:

Auset's Stitched Treasures said...

I watched it last night as well. And again, this morning. I loved it.
Angela

Anonymous said...

I LOVE This. I love Doctor Who, but I think I may like this even better.

Anne At Large said...

Just streamed it tonight from the PBS website and I completely agree, so far I love the cast and the writing is great! I've always had a soft spot for Dr. Watson and this is a great new iteration!

Also, Benedict Cumberbatch is the best name in the history of names.

emmy jay said...

I have been talking up this show to anyone who will listen!

the fabled needle (jen) said...

oh, this looks intriguing! i will have to check it out. :)

Nathalie said...

It's such fun - witty and dynamic - and they've done such a great job updating it. The BBC are commissioning a second series (hopefully they'll make it a little longer than the first!).

lsaspacey said...

nathalie,

Thanks for the great news!! Yes, three episodes is not a series! I want at least 5 next time.

Anonymous said...

Because you suggested this, I went and checked it out. I'd read about it somewhere, but didn't realize you could watch it online. Thanks for the tip--loved it!

Audrey said...

I tuned in thinking "Oh no not another English version of Sherlock Holmes" It was a delightful surprise. Though I thought Martin Freeman looked like he had aged quite a bit from the last time I saw him in The Office UK. Maybe he has just lost weight.