Friday, February 06, 2009

Fashion In Film: Oh, Coraline!!

Have you heard about the Coraline movie? Directed by Henry Selick (The Nightmare Before Christmas) it is based on the novel by Neil Gaiman See the trailer here. Also check out the incredible movie website and more movie info on Gaiman's MouseCircus website. This book, Coraline: A Visual Companion and these alphabet posters look great too!

I am definitely going to see this!

They produced an incredible viral marketing scheme that involved bloggers and related to the multitudes of hand made objects that were used in the filming. These two websites have tracked down the 50 artisan-made boxes that were sent to the various bloggers around the country; Notcot and Super Punch. I would have freaked if I had gotten one of these, especially the one with the miniature tools, seen here.

If I could I would also buy up a lot of the merchandise. I love miniature movie figurines from animated movies. Animation (starting with Saturday morning cartoons) is something that my 19-year old nephew and I have always had in common. He collects the larger "15 in models from sci-fi and horror films. So even though the ones he has are usually extremely gruesome, I can still appreciate the love. A few years ago I had him track down a Harley Quinn from Batman: The Animated Series, even though I ended up not getting her in the end.


But check out these 7" Bendy Fashion Dolls (that's what they called them) of Coraline that will be available in March from Forbidden Planet. I waaant one.


*Though this movie is animated, most of the objects shown were created by hand; in duplicate. The marketing kits that went out included some of the objects actually used in the filming along with Henry Selick's autograph. How exquisite is that!

No comments: