Sunday, February 22, 2009

Starting up again

I spent several hours yesterday true-ing up the grain on some fabric in my stash to use as a muslin. That was a huge ordeal, this stuff was cut so off-grain it was scary. I also graded the BurdaStyle Anda pattern down a size. Why is 38 the smallest size they offer? There are a lot of women out there with much smaller busts than 34.5 inches but who still have hips in the larger ranges. Since they are now charging for the patterns*, I think they should enlarge their range, both ways, of course.

I also found myself "walking" the pattern and having to make an adjustment. The armhole lengths did not match from the front and back pieces so I had to shorten the back upper bodice. I searched the internet but did not see that anyone else mentioned this problem so maybe unaltered it doesn't affect the finished dress but I didn't want to chance it.

And yes, I chose the Anda because of the many, many incredible versions made by the incurable homebody. I'll let you know how it works out.

More:
The Goal This Weekend...
Dress as Finished Project - Burdastyle Anda

*I downloaded the Anda a few days before they retroactively put a price on it. It is now $3.50.

5 comments:

Gretchen the Household Deity said...

That is a fun pattern. Can't wait to see your version(s)!

Tick Tack said...

Thanks for blogging about our Anda pattern. We found that many people loved it because its simple design that leaves lots of room for creativity.
I had a conversation with another user about the shoulderseam, it did not seem to match, but we trued it up and it turned out, it was the fabric.
I will double check the pattern right away to check the armhole.

In regards to sizes. Even though we would love to offer everything in every size, it is impossible. If we show more than a range of sizes on one pdf it becomes unclear to read. Additionally, not every pattern is suited for every size.
We have in the past however revisited patterns that are very popular to create them in additional sizes.

Feel free to contact us if you have any further questions in regards of the Anda or any other pattern you find on our site.

Best Wishes,
Benedikta

Antoinette said...

For what it's worth, I have had good luck with a couple of Burda patterns just reducing the print size of the PDF to get something close to a 32/34. I think the Danielle dress I made comes in a 36 and I printed it out at 92% of its original size -- my rule of thumb might be 4% for every size down.

It's possible that this printer reduction won't work if you're going up or down too many sizes... maybe some key proportions might get lost...

Unknown said...

Hey, thanks for stopping by my blog. If you don't mind, I'd like to add you to my sewing and crafts blogroll. Have you tried the shea butter hair cream yet?

Peace.

lsaspacey said...

Krystal, I'd be honored to be on your blogroll.

No, I haven't tried the shea recipe yet because I am currently using another shea concoction. When I run out I will probably try to make that mix.