Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Myspace friends or foes?

A few years ago, I moved back to Richmond from Northern VA. I initially signed myself up on Myspace.com in order to keep up on a favorite local band. This was before I even knew it was a big thing with preteens and teenagers.

I put my picture up and some information about myself. Well, that was like beaming a neon WELCOME sign to all freaks. I had to log in, check out, and deny so many friend requests, it was crazy. I eventually replaced my picture with some clip art and deleted all the personal information from my site.

Unfortunately, someone was still able to track me down. Now people from my first round of living here are contacting me on a daily basis. These are the same people I have not heard from in 9 to 17 years! We parted company with no pretense about keeping in touch. So now they all seem to care how I am. My belief is that they just want to find out if I gained weight or look older than they do.

It's funny how time also makes some people forget that their past behavior towards you was so bad that they probably should not try to contact you as if nothing had happened. However, I still got that e-mail today. It is from someone whose last communication with me consisted of them hearing my voice on the phone and hanging up on me*. Now 9 years later, they want to be one of my "friends" on Myspace?!!

Right now, I don't know what I will do about this e-mail. I'm going to take a few days to think about it for a while.

*Just so you know; they were clearly in the wrong and I was calling to give them the chance to explain. They tried to take advantage of a very vulnerable situation with no compassion or respect for the two people involved.

No comments: