Thursday, May 17, 2018

Meghan Markle, What Will You Wear?


On Saturday, Ms. Meghan Markle will step out of a car wearing a dress that will be news all over the world, in mere seconds. The common thought is that her dress has been designed by Ralph & Russo. I'm not so sure. Well, maybe I'm biased, but most of their dresses that I've seen seem so over the top and I don't want Meghan to be given any more of a hard time than she already has. I'm a huge wedding gown snob, probably because they're the closest things we have to vintage evening gowns from Charles James, Worth, and Dior. To be honest, I wasn't a big fan of Diana or Catherine's actual dresses; however, I thought they both looked beautiful and happy so I really just want Meghan to have the same. She's had such a hard time just to be with the man she loves.

Though because of that curiosity, I decided to see what other designers could have been in the running. Also, if she did choose one of these, I can then claim a small victory.

By the way, I vote complete sleek hair updo, a new tiara, slim a-line dress, either fully embellished or starkly unadorned. Also, her mother will walk her down the aisle, culminating in a precious moment when she hands her off to Harry, perhaps with a hug.

Here's a dress I posted to Instagram a while ago as what I'd choose for her if it were my choice:

Pronovias 2018 Raigal gown



Back to other possibilities:

Tabitha
Viviana
Aubrey

Temperley London - The Bohemian vibe of this collection makes this designer a real possibility and I could see these fitting in very well at Windsor. They also would compliment the floral design and that elderflower-flavored wedding cake.

Ivana
Esther

Sassi Holford - I have to admit I would love if Meghan chose someone who wasn't even on the radar, like London local Sassi Holford.

Ivy
Helena

Amanda Wakeley - These gowns are just perfect. That first one is particularly lovely and classic, with a twist. I could definitely see Meghan in something like that! Another real contender.


Phillipa Lepley - Their lovely romantic dresses, rendered in styles both architecturally structured and lushly romantic, would  definitely allow for a lot of variety and skill  when completing a custom dress order.

Juniper
Julia

Jenny Packham - I was surprised she wasn't mentioned to be in contention. I think she's still a valid possibility. I definitely see her being able to  capture Meghan's vibe correctly.



Viktor & Rolf - I doubt she'd pick this avant-garde design house but I was pleasantly surprised by how wearable and striking their gowns were. Let's call them the "wild card" choice.


Burberry - I still think this is a possibility, despite her mother, Doria, being clearly seen with their garment bag on her way to London. My thought is that Ms. Ragland's actual event dress never left London, and this is something else entirely. The design house could still be dressing the bride, though it is less likely now.




Erdem - Now, I couldn't find any examples of Erdem wedding gowns but pulled these from his various collections, those last two from 2009. I'm sure he would make a beautiful dress, perhaps shooed away from the large florals, top-to-toe modesty, and ruffles look for which he's more currently known.





Elie Saab - Here's another long shot, but oh how great one of his designs would look at Windsor! He's also had experience creating royal wedding gowns, having made the dresses for both Princess Stephanie (2012) and Princess Claire (2013) of Luxembourg.

Well, I could keep going with all the other designers she has ever worn that could pull off such a gown, but I won't. It's now time to be patient and wait for noon in Windsor (7 a.m. my time!) to view her choice and rejoice in the near-royal couple's joy on Saturday.

Good luck Meghan!!!!

1 comment:

Audrey said...

Wow you found some beautiful dresses! Whatever designer Meghan wears, I am sure she will look fabulous. She definitely know what looks good on her, and she has such a consistently classy style. I agree with you on R&R dresses being over the top, but they may do a special designed dress more to her taste. I remember the Isabel Toledo dress designed for Michele Obama as being so unlike anything that Isabel had ever designed before that time.