Monday, July 03, 2006

I know, I lied

The real Amy Sedaris.

I said that there would be no more posts until August, but there are some great things afoot that I just could not ignore.

Like the fact that one of the most twisted* shows ever, Strangers with Candy, is coming to a major movie theater near you. Paul Dinello, Stephen Colbert, and the great Amy Sedaris have written the film to complement their brilliant Comedy Central series from 1999-2000. The show was written and presented using language and music cues ripped from those corny After School Specials that ran on TV throughout my childhood.

"Hello, I'm Jerri Blank and I'm a 46-year-old high school freshman. For 32 years I was a teenage runaway. I was a boozer, a user, and a loser. My friends were dealers, cons, and 18 karat pimps. But now I'm out of jail, picking up my life exactly where I left off. I'm back in high school, living at home, and discovering all sorts of things about my body. I'm finding out that though the faces have changed, the hassles are just the same."

This is how every episode started and that paragraph pretty much summed up the irreverence of the show and probably the movie too.

*Beware, the beginning of the movie's website has some imagery that might be upsetting for a few people. The movie; like the show, is very much an acquired taste.

No comments: