Thursday, December 17, 2020

Attempted Make-under - Assembly Line Cuff Top


Well, I did attempt to recreate The Assembly Line Cuff Top on my own using images from the internet and a self-drafted pattern (see below.) I created my pattern by using their measured diagram of the top and my actual measurements. I used some of my stashed white eyelet fabric since I have so much of it. 

However, not being sure that I got the amount of ease right and not knowing exactly how they applied the elastic to the sleeves kept me from completing it. I really didn't want to be disappointed in another sad quarantine make. 
 

So, that led me to treat myself in the end. I had received $30 as a "tip" for watching a friend's dog for the weekend (It was my pleasure, really!) Even though I couldn't believe I was paying that much for such a simple pattern, I went ahead and clicked Purchase. I am so glad I did!

As you can see, I did pretty well. My attempt at the pattern ended up very close to the real thing except that the size corresponded to size XS-S in the Cuff Top while TAL had my measurements match up with their Large size.




Pattern: The Assembly Line Cuff Top (2018)



Pattern Description: Loose-fit top with boatneck, center seam detail, and cut-on sleeves with gathered cuffs.

Pattern Sizing: Available in two size ranges: XS-L and XL-4XL. I cut a Large that matched my bust measurement resulting in finished garment ease of 8."


Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Exactly the same.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Extremely easy! As simple as can be.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I loved the instruction booklet! Great detailed instructions in a clever and simple design.



Fabric Used: Premium quilt cotton yarn dye chambray (100% cotton) from Joann Fabrics, Dritz 2" Soft Waistband Elastic, Gutermann 100% polyester thread in Iris #900.


Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: This was the first time I've ever used a 1 cm seam allowance. As an American, it always sounded too small to me, but it's essentially 3/8." 



The instructions suggest finishing all seams with an overlocker or a zig-zag stitch.  The shoulder, center front, and center back seams were flat-felled, which added style and detail.



When it came to the sleeves, the elastic insertion instructions in the booklet were lacking. I found it much easier following instructions for an elastic waistband like this Craftsy tutorial. You have control over the gathers this way.

That same detail in my eyelet version.
 


Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes, I will definitely make even more of these. It's a simple pattern, but it has style. It is very versatile, looking completely different in all types of fabrics, from flat quilting cottons to drapey silks.



Conclusion: After wearing both versions I have decided that I want something slightly smaller than my official TAL version (with 8" of wearing ease) but larger than my faux version. I think I will make all others in size M for less wearing ease and a narrower neck opening.

Affixed with my label.

1 comment:

Laura said...

I love both your versions, and this helps me so much to decide how to make mine. I am making a mockup today to test size M. I do wish that when the arms are down that the end of the elastic would look even instead of going "up" on the outside of the arm. I may cut my mockup at an angle. Also, TAL has a "hack" on their website to make the boatneck more round. Well, yours is lovely! Both of them!