Monday, November 09, 2009

Inspiration in a Buttonhole?

I love when I see something new done with something that I have never given a second thought. Well, someone else did and what they did with that idea is genius. Look at this:


Image: Makesomething.ca

Yes, a buttonhole made with variegated thread. I've seen variegated yarn before and definitely could see the benefit in making projects with it. But variegated sewing thread? How perfect is that for stitching and detailing a dress in a print made up of many colors?

I'm hip to and have used contrasting zippers in garments before (I've yet to install an invisible zipper) because I thought the quick glimpse of the zipper would be more interesting if it really didn't match the fabric. Because how rarely do you find a zipper that matches perfectly? I have also used a more dramatic color thread to stitch up a garment, like red on blue... but this is an even better idea. You no longer have to worry about the stitching being too obvious on certain sections of a dress when you make that possibility random.

Please check out the great clothing created on Karyn's Make Something blog and if you are lucky enough to be in Toronto, also check out The Workroom's sew-by-the-hour sewing lounge. I so wish we had a place like that here in my city.

5 comments:

scb said...

Who knew a buttonhole could be so pretty? I didn't realize there was variegated thread, although my knitting friend has certainly done interesting things with variegated yarn.

Thanks!

lsaspacey said...

Exactly. I'm going to be on the lookout for some now.

mjb said...

Her site is so great and I loved that idea too.

Antoinette said...

I always wondered what to do with that thread! Neat idea.

jen said...

genius!