Friday, June 18, 2010

They Sell Fabric, Don't They?

There are two independent fabric stores in Richmond that I've discovered, can't wait to find the others. One I've known about for a while, Quilting Adventures. In it's original location it mostly carried...quilting fabrics. Whoa, did you see that coming? Along with those they carry all the patterns and things you would need to make bags and stuffed animals and have a large sewing magazine and book section. But now I notice more clothing fabric in the back, knits, batiks, canvas prints, laminated cottons, and corduroy. But even cooler, I've also seen some designer bolts. First some Nicole Miller, Marc Jacobs, Anne Klein, some Helen Wang raspberry eyelet, and then some Ralph Lauren sateen the last time I was in.

The last time I was in I asked if they were going to carry any of Anna Maria Horner's fabrics not even thinking of her voile. As it turns out they will likely be carrying some of her fabric but NOT the voile. However, they let me know that the Bernina shop in the West End was carrying it NOW.

Yes, the Bernina sewing machine shop had it. What did I find when I showed up there 10 minutes before they closed on Saturday? Lovely, lovely voile!

I have touched it and it is everything that everyone on the blogs is saying it is. I now want all my summer dresses and tops to be made out of this fabric, all floaty and fine! Even at $15 a yard, it is worth it.


Diamond Mine - Sky, Coloring Garden - Sea


Little Honey - Berry, Coloring Garden - Citrus

So if you are in Virginia, Anna Maria Horner's cotton voile (seen above) is available to touch in person at the Bernina of Richmond store. They also carry Kwik Sew, Sewing Workshop, and some Jalie patterns so you don't have to online order them all the time.

Quilting Adventures
Bernina of Richmond

Both stores also hold sewing and quilting classes. Check their individual websites above for schedules.

5 comments:

etoilee8 said...

I wish NoVa had more good fabric stores. We have the usual chains but nothing out of the ordinary.

adventure grrl said...

Hi Doll! I found a sweet comment you left for me on my blog 100 Days in Bed and I wanted you to know I'm back to writing there! Hope ur great and will stop by sooooon. xoxoxo

mjb said...

Hm, wondering if there's some secret fashion fabric store though. Where do the VCU students go? Did you see this? http://annamariahorner.blogspot.com/2010/06/museum-tunic.html

lsaspacey said...

Hey mjb,
Didn't know you were local, cool! I have a friend who went through the VCU fashion program so I'll try to find out where they go from her.

This weekend I'm going to attempt a 1-hour dress project. It's real simple but it's also really hot here.

thefabledneedle (jen) said...

i have that diamond fabric and it's so good, reminds me or '30s/'40s dresses. i have a stack of voile that i'm hoarding. it really is the best fabric.

there's also silk/cotton voile which is really lovely.