That didn't take long did it?
Saturday, I was starting on one of the 12 In 2012 projects. As I lay out the pattern pieces I realized I was running out of fabric. I have had this particular fabric paired with this pattern, New Look 6836, for years! The red fabric had been purchased for something else and a few years ago I realized I'd rather use it for this top, a replacement for that similar Built By Wendy Simplicity pattern that caused some fitting problems on the sewing blogs. For all this time, I assumed I made sure I had enough fabric to switch patterns. Well...I didn't!
Pattern substitutions as of 2.22.2012
So, with this example in mind, I am measuring all of my fabric to see exactly how much I have of each. Unfortunately, that means my plan above might need to be changed. I think I have a replacement for the red fabric but I'm moving onto another project on the board in the mean time. Luckily, my most recent fabrics are still paired with their original projects and should be fine.
Update: It wasn't as bad as I thought. I can still make that project with some alterations, notably the length and width of the sleeves. Best of all, my other fabrics DO match or exceed the yardage needed for each project. Whew!! There have been some pattern choice changes and substitutions but for other reasons besides not having enough fabric.