Sunday, December 27, 2009

Happy Holidays!

Sorry, I didn't post this message earlier but I was too busy having a great holiday to blog. YES, despite my melancholy this season and the like-minded posts I wrote about it, I had one of the best holidays I've had in awhile. I didn't even need to make a Bingo card* this year.

Excerpt from a November New York Times article on holidays and tension:

Betsy said her cousin also complained of holiday meal tension with her own family, so the two devised a strategy to help each other cope. Each made bingo cards, but instead of numbers, the squares were filled in with some of the negative phrases they expected to hear during the meal, like “That outfit is interesting” or “Your children won’t sit still.” As comments were made at the separate family celebrations, each woman would mark her card.

“Whoever fills up a bingo row first,” Betsy said, “sneaks off to call the other and say, ‘Bingo!’ ”

I not only met new cool people, got to talk to my great-aunt about sewing (she made my mother's wedding dress!), played with little kids, three dogs, and two cats, ate great food every three hours practically, but I also spent up to two hours with either a loving, purring kitty or a four-month old baby on my lap. Hoo-boy, this was a fun holiday! Hope yours was great too.

Here's to 2010 being even better!

*The Bingo cards are an excellent idea; wish I had them years ago! Thanks for letting me know about them, ATG!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

happy holidays, lisa. :)

drwende said...

LOVE the bingo card idea! And so glad that you had a happy holiday after all...

Kerry said...

My sister and I laid bets on how many times we would each have to choke down rage, with Dunkin' Donuts to the one who was closer. She scored herself as 2/4 and I got 3/7.

Antoinette said...

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to you, too! I am excited about 2010!

Nishant said...

so glad that you had a happy holiday after all...

Work from home India

A DC said...

You're welcome!

Funny, I didn't need them this year either! :)