Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Taking A Measure...

Sorry, no progress to show. All of my garment construction has been happening in my head...I have been researching fitting and adjustment materials to improve the fit of my garments.

I was first looking for info on narrow back adjustments for the coat, which lead to looking in those same sources for remedies to the fit issues of the Colette Pastille (too-long bodice, narrow back adj?), my potential Colette Clovers (full belly adj, crotch length, sway back?) and instructions on grading my Vogue 1922 pants pattern up two sizes.

It led me to decide to wait a bit on alterations. The research led me to the conclusion that what I really needed to do first was the basics: I needed to record my personal measurements. This is also the first step to drafting my own patterns.

To help others here are some sources I have found interesting:


  • Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service Pattern Alteration series



  • Threads articles on measurements



  • Sew Stylish Ready...Set...Measure!, p. 80, Volume 1



  • Fast Fit by Sandra Betzina



  • Kwik Sew Measuring and Pattern Alteration Guide



  • Design It Yourself Clothes: Patternmaking Simplified Taking Your Measurements, p. 30.


  • The biggest thing I found was that different sources have different ideas on what "the" essential measurements are and also have different ways of correctly measuring them.

    So I am going to pick one source and follow through with that system's plan for doing adjustments since those personal measurements are essential to make the correct changes. I will be using the AgriLife Extension series for both my measurements and for alterations for Vogue 7714, the Pastille and the Clovers. I will use the Threads instructions to grade up my Vogue 1922 pants pattern.

    The best thing is that once I have my measurements recorded I can compare them to paper patterns and make some changes even before the first muslin is made.

    Save time and fabric? Sounds good to me!

    2 comments:

    Marie-Noƫlle said...

    Thanks for a very resourceful post

    Denise said...

    This is one helpful post. Thanks for sharing.