Sunday, September 07, 2008

Marc Jacobs Bias Skirts - Vogue 2068 (& 2070)

Pattern: Vogue 2068

Pattern Description: Semi-fitted, bias skirt (below contour waist), above mid-knee, has elastic waist.

Pattern Sizing: 8-10-12

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, very much.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I love how simple it is yet how professionally finished it ends up looking.

Fabric Used: I used a drapey polyester blend that had a bit of body to it.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: The pattern is ten years old, so I added some width to the pattern piece for my larger hips and I made the skirt a few inches longer as the original skirt was only 16 3/4 inches long!

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes, this is my third version of this skirt. I love how the waistband looks, very professional. Even though it is an elastic waistband, once worn the waistband resembles a straight band. The elastic, when stretched, is only wide enough to get over the hips and then relaxes to fit just a little lower than the waist. It's also a quick sew.

Conclusion: This is one of my favorite straight skirt patterns.

I finished the skirt, already wore it to work, and wrote a review of said skirt. The review for this out-of-print pattern, Vogue 2068, can also be found here at patternreview.com.

I now have three versions of this skirt. The blue, tan. and cream one I can still wear since I took out the hem but the third brown polka-dot one will probably be given away. The fabric I found for this new version was this great drapey polyester blend I bought at Jo-Ann's Fabrics that has a lot of body to it. I love the color combination and it just happens that the diagonal plaid mimics the pattern on the original skirt.

This Vogue American Designer wardrobe pattern is ten years old, so I am a different size than when I first made it. I added some width to the pattern piece for my now larger hips and of course made it many inches longer as the original skirt was truly meant to be a mini-skirt at little more than 16 inches long. And yes, I did wear it at that length but always with black tights and boots. This past week I wore the new longer one without and still felt awkward. I keep forgetting that my job involves a lot of bending and stooping. Good that fall is coming because I really like this skirt and want to keep wearing it.


Vogue 2068


Eventually, I'll get a picture of me wearing the skirt on the blog because I want to show off how cool the waistband on this skirt is.
If you get a chance to pick this pattern up on eBay or one of the vintage pattern links to the right, do it. Besides the skirts, I also made the bias top and am tempted to try out the jacket.

Vogue 2070

I also have the sister pattern to this, Vogue 2070, which includes the Marc Jacobs coat and dress. I have had some red challis for the dress for years (!) but I have yet to cut this pattern out. I think I keep missing the right season.

No comments: