Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Fashion In Film: 500 Days of Summer

I just saw this Saturday and it affected me in a weird way. I saw an old relationship in it and I'll have to sort out those feelings. So, though, personally for me, it was thought-provoking, I still really enjoyed the film.

If you've seen Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (another favorite of mine) then this is the movie for you. It's different, like the tag line says, "It's not a love story, it's a story about love."

If all of that was not enough, the soundtrack is incredible too!

I totally fell in love with the character of Tom Hansen, played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt (who I have had a crush on since 3rd Rock From the Sun) and his vintage-like wardrobe. And finding this just about killed me...he can dance!

And Zooey, as Summer Finn, I wanted most of the clothes in the movie especially the dress she wears to a co-worker's wedding (not the one shown here).

Note:
In a bizarre coincidence I found out that the dress could be true vintage from Western Costume, which has been outfitting the movie business since 1912. This company featured prominently in two books about movie costume designer Edith Head that I just finished reading. Bravo, costume designer Hope Hanafin!

A perfect idea of Summer's wardrobe from Cafe Con Leche

More costume ideas from the "500 Days of Summer" Polyvore group are here.

JUST found this site with great shots of the clothes at Wearability.us!

4 comments:

Anne At Large said...

Oh I am even more excited now! I had a random InStyle for an airplane flight and it had a really good shoot with the two stars and it really looks like they captured the vibe and the great costumes. I can't wait to see this! I just don't know when I'll have time...

Also, my verification word? bicep.

Antoinette said...

I have not even seen a full trailer for this movie but it has already charmed me. Unfortunately, I also want to see Julie & Julia and District 9 and... and...

Corina said...

I love Eternal Sunshine, it's a great movie. Also reminded me of an old relationship when I watched that, and the terrible cycles that can sometimes chain two people together, who have very different personalities. I'm glad I ran into your blog, feel free to visit my blog as well: http://acircleofquiet.typepad.com/

Wearability.us said...

Hi there lsaspacey! Thanks so much for the linkback to Wearability.us - I saw a bunch of people came through from your site. Digging the site by the way, especially all the DIYs. Glad you enjoyed the 500 Days pictures, they took me a while to screencap =) Cheers, Stephanie