Thursday, August 20, 2009

My Sewing Library

The Vintage*:



Better Homes & Gardens Tailoring Suits and Coats (1966) part of their Creative Sewing Library series. I don't know when I will be using this one but it's good to have, just in case.

Simplicity Sewing Book (1969) - it seems most of my vintage patterns are Simplicity so having this book is great. It teaches something called the Simplicity Unit System of Sewing which corresponds with the instructions they used in their patterns at the time. There are many different versions of this book, so don't just look for this cover. I love this book!

Good & Easy Sewing Book: For you and your family (1972) by Joanne Schreiber and Carter Houck. This one is interesting; it is part of the Betty Crocker Home Library series. Yup, even Betty got into the home sewing business. Another excellent book, it's right up there with the Simplicity one.

Awesomeness-squared!

Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing (1976) I love this book and will tell everyone about it, if I can. It covers tools, fabric, fitting, construction, closures, tailoring, and has some cool sewing projects for clothing and for the home. It's an all-around good reference book, more so than any other book in my collection.

Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Needlework (1979) Yes, I have both of them from my late mother's collection. This one covers everything; embroidery (Crewel), needlepoint (Bargello), applique (Reverse), patchwork, quilting, knitting, crochet, lacework (Tatting & Bobbin), macrame and rug making!



Lingerie & Sleepwear: 24 original designs you can make yourself (1981) edited by Jack Angell. This was also my mom's and I can't remember if she ever made anything from it. It does have one killer pair of saucy French-looking pajama's that I should try to make some time.

Sewing For The Home (1988) part of the Singer Sewing Reference Library. This is the first book that I bought myself. This is another great reference book. This is wear I found my tried-and-true pillow cover pattern. No zippers, buttons, or snaps...just a simple overlapping envelope closure in the back. I have even used this method for box-cornered seat cushions. The book covers all types of draperies, more advanced cushions, and bed coverings, including a duvet cover that I made from upholstery fabric.

The Modern:



Fast Fit: Easy Pattern Alterations for Every Figure (2003) by Sandra Betzina. I will be using this book shortly to fix my yellow dress muslin.

Sew U: The Built by Wendy Guide to Making Your Own Wardrobe (2006) by Wendy Mullin and Eviana Hartman. Cute and stylish designs used to show you how to change and customize a prepared pattern.

S.E.W. Sew Everything Workshop: The Complete Step-by-Step Beginner's Guide (2007) by Diana Rupp. I actually find this book a more comprehensive beginner guide to sewing than the above Sew U. It gives you a variety of projects with the patterns included.

My back issues of the Taunton Press magazines; Threads (Nov 2006) and Sew Stylish (the 2007 and 2008 Spring & Fall issues). Priceless!


The Wish List:

McCall's Sewing Book, (1963) to go with all my vintage McCall's patterns.

McCall's Step-By-Step Sewing Book (1966) This is a possibility, but the first one may be enough.

Sew U: Home Stretch: The Built by Wendy Guide to Sewing Knit Fabrics (2008) - I have a bit of a fear of knits with Lycra in them, perhaps this book will help.

*The first six are from my mother's collection.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Wow, great minds think alike... I was just about to write a similar post! My library is completely different from yours, so I guess I still should! ;-)

I have the "Fast Fit" book but haven't read it thoroughly. And I have "Sew U: Home Stretch: The Built by Wendy Guide to Sewing Knit Fabrics" and love it!