Completed in 2022.
Finished garment photo coming.
Pattern: Hug Hoodie by Madeit Patterns (2020)
Pattern Description: Relaxed fit sweatshirt with raglan sleeves, overlap neckline detail, curved back hem, and an optional hood.
Pattern Sizing: UK sizes 6 to 20, I made a size 16.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? It looked exactly like the pattern images and drawings.
Were the instructions easy to follow? So simple and very beginner sewist friendly.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? The curves at the bottom remind me of similar RTW details I've been interested in for a few years but never got around to drafting for myself.
Fabric Used: 58" anti-pill plush fleece (100% polyester) in Pineneedle and 58" Sew Classics interlock ( 60% cotton, 40% polyester) in Ponderosa (for the hood lining) from Joann Fabrics, Gutermann 100% polyester thread in Forest Green #792.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: Checking the final garment measurements, I noticed that the pattern was made for a personal height of 5'6". Accordingly, I shortened the body and sleeve pattern pieces 2" using the shorten/lengthen lines.
While truing the altered pattern pieces, I added more ease in the lower arms so I could push up my sleeves. That was a good call because I could barely try on the cuff pieces. This makes sense since the pattern did suggest cutting them from ribbing! However, I found that the cuffs make the arms super long. So, I could cut new wider and shorter cuffs or go without the cuffs completely. I decided to baste them on, wear them for a while, and see if they needed to be altered.
I used a remnant for the hood lining; it's not an exact color match, but close enough. I liked how it came out, and the pattern cleverly provided a way to add a drawstring if you wanted to add one.
The neckline was surprisingly small, which made it a tight fit once you attached the hood. The pattern does not address the stress point where the hood edges overlap. As it is a tight squeeze, this area will need reinforcement. I will add a binding to this front edge similar to the back neck.
Everything else went easy; I especially loved how clever the faux wrap hem binding is constructed. Easy-peasy.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I will probably make it again in a pattern with the other neckline or with some color-blocking. I recommend it as a wonderfully simple-to-construct sweatshirt pattern but with design details that make it versatile and unique.
Conclusion: I am glad I made the alterations I did, although they were not perfect. Removing 2" from the length of the body was too much for a cold-weather garment. It is now too short in front to cover the waistband of my pants and skirts. However, it was too long in the back with a lot of excess fabric, so I removed the back binding, shortened the back a total of 1", and straightened the curve. I also slimmed the sides by 1/2."
Though the cuffs were roomy, the lower arms were still too tight to push up my sleeves, which meant the overlong cuffs now get wet when I wash my hands. Besides fine-tuning those changes, I will also enlarge the neckline by 1/2" and the hood's width by an inch to create a more substantial overlap. Otherwise, it's a great design that just needed adapting for my body.