Friday, January 06, 2023

Sewing Machine Update

Late last year, I finally bought myself a new sewing machine, a Singer Quantum Stylist 9960. It arrived a few days after I wrote this post detailing how I chose that particular machine. 

Even though I had several days off over the holidays, I only tried the machine on the last day before returning to work. Why, you ask? Well, I didn't feel like it, which was weird. I mean, it was a new purchase that I had been looking forward to, and I had a skirt I wanted to finish before the end of the year. Was it a sign? 

So, that day, I used the bobbin winder and the automatic needle threader according to the instruction video developed by Singer. I started sewing, and the upper thread tension was horrible! Also, the built-in thread cutter only cut 1 of the 2 threads. 

Thinking it was my fault, I started over again and threaded everything from scratch, and it still did not improve. This machine advertises self-adjusting tension, so I was stuck without the option to  adjust it manually. 

Frustrated, I put the machine aside and pulled out my trusty thirty-year-old Baby Lock BL2100. After threading it, the problems I had before (skipping stitches) were all gone. I also noticed how different this machine felt; solid and sturdy. Many plastic parts on the Singer seemed fragile like they could easily snap off, such as the bobbin case cover release button.

Baby Lock Jubilant

I will give the new Singer another try this weekend, but if there is no improvement, it is going back. I now know buying a machine without trying it is not right for me. I returned another machine thirty years ago before buying my BL2100. So, I plan to take a Baby Lock Jubilant for a test drive at my local Baby Lock dealer. Wish me luck!

P.S.

The Baby Lock website allows you to download their user manuals. It's a great sign that the manual is well done, with excellent illustrations and an intuitive content layout. It turns out that Singer needs those instructive videos because their manual is a mess.

No comments: