Sunday, January 15, 2023

Whistle While We Work - Elizabeth Suzann Clyde Work Pant

Completed in 2022.


Pattern:
Elizabeth Suzann Clyde Work Pants (2021)

Pattern Description: Pull-on pants with large crescent-shaped pockets spanning the side panels (of a three-panel design), vertical seams down the center front and back of the legs, and a wide elasticized waist.

Pattern Sizing: US Sizes 000-28/XXS-4XL in three length options; I cut out a size 16 in the Regular length.


Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Exactly!

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, very much so!


What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? The pockets and the room around the hips are what intrigued me. I love how the shape tapers down to a slimmer leg.

Fabric Used: A mystery twill with some Lycra content from my long-term stash, Dritz 2" soft waistband elastic, Gutermann 100% polyester thread in Deep Burlywood #791 



Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I made no changes to this pair and sewed them according to the instructions. The procedures allow you to do almost all the top stitching except at the inseam, where it wouldn't be noticed. The only problem I encountered was at the inseam, where I had to ease the seam at the cr@tch, probably due to the stretch in the fabric causing some distortion.

I noticed that if you use the 2" elastic and fold down the waistband the two times as instructed, it seems to leave almost no space between the elastic and the top of the pockets. I even bought 1-1/2" elastic just in case. 

I cut the elastic to 34", two inches shorter than my waist measurement, hoping it would work.


Unfortunately, the cr@tch was about two inches too long between the front and back! In addition, the waist was loose. I eventually had to unpick all four rows of waistband stitching and the seam. I then folded down the waistband one more inch, as far as I could without interfering with the function of the pockets. I sewed a 2" channel for the elastic, and once I pulled it through, I overlapped the elastic another inch.


Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes! I loved the design of these since I first saw them years ago. I couldn't wait until the pattern was released. I recommend this pattern and stress the importance of using the pattern's measurement chart and determining the preferred rise (i.e., cr@tch seam) before choosing which Length version. I assumed wrong; instead of Regular, I should have gone Short and lengthened the legs to make the difference.


Conclusion: I will definitely make these again. I love the silhouette! Next time, I will use stronger, slightly more rigid elastic, remove two inches of length from the rise, and add two inches to the length.

No comments: