Saturday, January 14, 2023

Pocket Skirt - Thread Theory/Peppermint Magazine

Completed in 2022.


Pattern: 
Peppermint Magazine Pocket Skirt (2020) A collaboration with Thread Theory Patterns.

Pattern Description: Relaxed midi-length skirt with a wide gathered waistband and oversized panel pockets.

Pattern Sizing: In sizes 6-28, I cut a size 18.


Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done with it? It looked exactly like the pattern picture.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Extremely. I was able to make this up in two evenings after work.


What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? Of course, the large, purposely droopy pockets were the draw, along with the gathered waistband.

Fabric Used: 52" Robert Kaufman Brussels Washer linen blend in Brown (55% linen, 45% rayon) from Fabric.com, Gutermann 100% polyester Sew-All thread in Chocolate #578, and Dritz 1.5" heavy stretch waistband elastic.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: The pattern was designed for a 5'7" person, so I immediately cut off 2 inches from the center front, center back, and 2 inches from the lower side panel. There is a line to shorten or lengthen where the pocket goes, but I could not figure out how that would work. As it turned out, I still had to remove an inch from the side panels after it was stitched. I assume this was my fault and my calculations were mixed up somewhere.

They suggest you cut it out on a single layer of fabric, so I used Easy Pattern paper to turn the half pieces into whole ones to make cutting them out easier.


Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes, I would and will make it again. I also highly recommend this pattern to others. Why not? It's free, easy, and looks great!

  

Conclusion: The most important thing that came out of this make is that I love Brussels washer linen. The weight, drape, and feel make the perfect summer fabric for swishy skirts and cool breezy linen shirts.

No comments: