Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Wide-Strap Maxi Dress - Elbe Textiles/Peppermint Magazine

Completed in 2022.


Pattern:
 Peppermint Magazine Wide-Strap Maxi Dress (2021) - A collaboration with Elbe Textiles.

Pattern Description: A-line maxi dress with wide shoulder straps, faced side splits, and an elasticized back.

Pattern Sizing: Sizes (A-J) I cut out size F.


Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Exactly!

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, they were. 

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? It looked like the most comfortable but streamlined version of a summer caftan, but with some structure.

Fabric Used: 43" Robert Kaufman Essex linen blend in Crimson (55% linen, 45% rayon) from Fabric.com, Gutermann 100% polyester Sew-All thread in Chili Red #420, Crimson #347, and Dritz 1-1/2" soft waistband elastic.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: As the pattern was meant for a person taller than me, 5'7", I thought I would need to shorten the dress by three inches, but when I held the pattern up to myself, I liked the length. 


Even though I matched the pattern measurements, I was still scared of creating a dress that didn't fit, especially one made with French seams.  I held up the pieces at each step, checking to see them compared to my body. Once I tried on the basted dress, I was reassured that there was plenty of room for my hips and that the darts were in the correct location.

Looking at the written instructions, I thought constructing the slits would be difficult. This was warranted because when it came to the second pass of the French seamed sides, I wasn't sure how the side split would fit in and doubted myself. I ended up scrolling Instagram and enlarging every photo of other sewists' versions to see how their dresses looked in that area. 

Unfortunately, none looked as weird as mine, so I separated the seams and started over. I chose to sew it with a regular 1/2" seam allowance and use a faux flat-fell finish. This fulfilled the pattern's goal of a clean inside finish. 


Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes, I think I would; it's a great design. I can see sewing another one in a more fluid fabric.

Conclusion: I love this dress, but it had some fit issues. The shoulder straps were unwieldy and need adjustment, they slip all over the place. I need to add the bra strap holders (which were included in the instructions) and that will fix the problem. 

No comments: