Saturday, January 21, 2023

Everyday Dress - In the Folds/Peppermint Magazine

Completed in 2022.

 

Pattern: 
Peppermint Magazine Everyday Dress (2020) A collaboration with In The Folds patterns.

Pattern Description: Knee-length oversized reversible dress. One side of the dress has a soft v-neck, and the other has a round one. The dress features relaxed body sleeves, in-seam pockets, hem slits, and an optional waist tie belt.

Pattern Sizing: 
Sizes: (1-2-3-4-5) I chose size 3.


Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? It looks exactly like it!

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, very. I think a beginner could tackle this with a video tutorial for the hem-facing section.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I liked the simple design. It was also a quick make; I completed it in about six hours.

Fabric Used: 54" Linen-look fabric in Navy (55% linen, 45% rayon) from JoAnn Fabrics, Gutermann 100% polyester Sew-All thread in Eggplant #943

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: The pattern is meant for 58"/60" wide fabric. However, I used fabric bought initially for another project. It was long but only 48"/54" wide, so I had to cut the sleeves to size 1 sleeve length. They ended up perfect, right at the crook of my elbow. I shortened the dress two inches since it was drafted for a 5' 7" tall person. 

The dress is meant to be comfortably oversized, but I am two different sizes and was worried the hips might end up too tight. I marked out from size 3 under the bust to size 4 at the bottom. It worked. I might not have needed to do that (it only added an inch total), but I feel secure that this dress will last longer because of this addition.


Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I can see more of these with different sleeves and hem lengths. Though the pattern was free, the instructions were thorough and easy to complete. I would highly recommend this pattern.


Conclusion: I am pleased with this dress and how quickly it was constructed. It's a relatively simple design, but the faced hem slits and the reversible nature of the dress elevate it. This dress could also be radically transformed using different substrates, colors, and patterns.

1 comment:

Juliane said...

Lovely!