Friday, June 27, 2008

WT The Aftermath: The Need to Purge

Well, I started on that closet cleanup and found out something amazing.

In my extremely full bedroom closet, I was only wearing 30% of all the clothes I had hanging in there. All the rest were hanging there waiting for their time in the sun or were never going to see daylight again, at least not on my body. Immediately, I pulled the least likely and placed them temporarily in the living room closet even though it too is bursting at the seams. I seriously need to do something real here, real soon! I hope to bit by bit, day by day, go through this mess and decided what is being donated or what I will try to take to a consignment shop. At this point, any amount of money I can get for a barely worn item will be worth it.
Over the last two weeks, I have worn shoes that I now realize are reaching Velveteen Rabbit-status (how I didn't realize that when doing Wardrobe Therapy is pretty bad. I must have had my blinders on.) I mean, these shoes are not even in a condition to be donated with a good conscious. So why am I still wearing them? Because they are right there whenever I look for shoes. But honestly, if the opportunity or guy of a lifetime showed up while I was wearing them, a part of me (however small) would still be worrying about how bad my shoes look.
So, obviously, these items need to disappear from my sight so that I no longer wear them. I would write out a plan here and now, but many of my plans have fizzled. I will let you know what happens when it happens.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post made me LOL! Sigh... I'm going through what you're going through and I totally relate with what you wrote.

I'm going to comb through my shoes and closet and

(1) Try to sell some of them at Crossroads Trading next week

(2) Give some to Goodwill

Unknown said...

Sounds like a good excuse for a naked lady clothing swap party:

http://www.getcrafty.com/home_nakedlady.php

lsaspacey said...

Claire,
That is a great idea, but that's one of the ways I accumulated so many clothes in the first place! ;)